Dr. Carolyn Copenheaver
- B. S. Biology, Juniata College (1993); M.S. Forestry, University of Maine (1996); Ph.D. Forestry, The Pennsylvania State University (2000)
Forest ecology, dendrochronology, land-use history, forest stand dynamics.
- FREC 3314 - Forest Ecology and Silvics
- FREC 5374 - Advanced Forest Ecology
- Collins, R.J., Copenheaver, C.A., Kester, M.E., Barker, E.J., and DeBose, K.G. 2018. American chestnut: Re-examining the historical attributes of a lost tree. Journal of Forestry 116:68-75.
- Copenheaver, C.A., Pulice, M.J., Lawrence, N.J.W., Raso, C.H., Cankaya, E.C., Wan, H., and Poling, B.T. 2017. Dendroarchaeology reveals influence of early-European settlement on forest disturbance regimes in the Appalachian Mountains, USA. Ecoscience 24:33-40.
- Copenheaver, C.A. and Keyser, T.L. 2016. Frequency of sprout-origin trees in pre-European settlement forests of the southern Appalachian Mountains. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 46:1019-1025.
- Flatley, W.T., and Copenheaver, C.A. 2015. Two centuries of vegetation change in an agricultural watershed in southwestern Virginia, USA. Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 142:113-126.
- Walker, D.M., Copenheaver, C.A., and Zink-Sharp, A. 2014. Radial growth changes following hemlock woolly adelgid infestation of eastern hemlock. Annals of Forest Science 71:595-602.
- Sefidi, K., Marvie Mohadjer, M.R., Mosandl, R., and Copenheaver, C.A. 2013. Coarse and fine woody debris in mature Oriental beech (Fagus orientalis Lipsky) forests of northern Iran. Natural Areas Journal 33:248-255.
- Copenheaver, C.A., Crawford, C.J., and Fearer, T.M. 2011. Age-specific responses to climate identified in the growth of Quercus alba. Trees
Structure and Function 25:647-653.
- Copenheaver, C.A., Gärtner, H. Schäfer, I., Vaccari, F.P., and Cherubini, P. 2010. Drought-triggered false ring formation in a Mediterranean shrub. Botany 88:545-555.
- Black, B.A., Copenheaver, C.A., Frank, D.C., Stuckey, M.J., and Kormanyos, R.E. 2009. Multiproxy reconstructions of northeastern Pacific sea surface temperature data from trees and Pacific geoduck. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 278:40-47.
- Predmore, S.A., Copenheaver, C.A., and Mortimer, M.J. 2008. Ecosystem management in the US Forest Service: A persistent process but dying discourse. Journal of Forestry 106:339-345.
- Kirwan, M.L., Kirwan, J.L., and Copenheaver, C.A. 2007. Dynamics of an estuarine forest and its response to rising sea level. Journal of Coastal Research 23:457-463.
- Copenheaver, C. A., Pokorski, E. A., Currie, J.E., and Abrams, M.D. 2006. Causation of false ring formation in Pinus banksiana: A comparison of age, canopy class, climate and growth rate. Forest Ecology and Management 236:348-355.
- Copenheaver, C.A., Kyle, K.H., Stevens, G.N., and Kamp, M.H. 2005. Comparing Juniperus virginia tree-ring chronologies from forest edge vs. forest interior positions in the Cedars Natural Area Preserve in Virginia, USA. Dendrochronologia 23:39-45.
- Copenheaver, C.A., Duncan, D.W., Leslie, L.D., and McGehee, N.G. 2004. An exploration of cross-disciplinary peer education in natural resources. Journal of Natural Resource and Life Science Education 33:124-130.
- Copenheaver, C.A. and Abrams, M.D. 2003. Dendroecology in young stands: Case studies from jack pine in northern lower Michigan. Forest Ecology and Management 182:247-257.
- Copenheaver, C.A., Grinter, L.E., Lorber, J.H., Neatrour, M.A., and Spinney, M.P. 2002. A dendroecological and dendroclimatic analysis of Pinus virginiana and Pinus rigida at two slope positions in the Virginia Piedmont. Castanea 67:91-104.
- Bortolot, Z.J., Copenheaver, C.A., Longe, R.L., and van Aardt, J.A.N. 2001. Development of a white oak chronology using live trees and a post-Civil War cabin in south-central Virginia. Tree-Ring Research 57:197-203.
- Copenheaver, C.A., White, A.S., and Patterson, W.A. III. 2000. Vegetation development in a southern Maine pitch pine-scrub oak barren. Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 127:19-32.
- Abrams, M.D., Copenheaver, C.A., Terazawa, K, Umeki, K, Takiya, M., and Akaski, N. 1999. A 370-year dendroecological history of an old-growth Abies-Acer-Quercus forest in Hokkaido, northern Japan. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 29:1-9.