Dr. T. Adam Coates
Assistant Professor of Forest Fire Ecology and Management
- Ph.D. Forest Resources, Clemson University (2017), M.S. Forest Resources, Clemson University (2006), B.S. Forest Resource Management, Clemson University (2003)
Research focuses on the impacts of wildland fire on ecosystem processes and properties. The study of these impacts is linked to topics such as restoration ecology, fuels, fire behavior, silviculture, soils, wildlife habitat, and water quality.
- Potential impacts of biomass burning at differing levels of fire intensity and severity (i.e. soil impacts, potential smoke emissions, etc.)
- The use of prescribed fire in the Appalachian Mountains
- Fire and global carbon cycling
- Wildland fire education opportunities
- FOR 2514 Wildland Fire Ecology and Management
- FOR 4414 Advanced Wildland Fire Ecology and Management
- Coates, T.A., Chow, A.T., Hagan, D.L., Waldrop, T.A., Wang, G.G., Bridges, W.C., Rogers, M.F., Dozier, J.H. 2017. Thermocouple probe orientation affects prescribed fire behavior estimation. Journal of Environmental Quality (in press).
- Coates, T.A., Chow, A.T., Hagan, D.L., Wang, G.G., Bridges, W.C., Dozier, J.H. 2017. Frequent prescribed fire as a long-term practice in longleaf pine forests does not affect detrital chemical composition. Journal of Environmental Quality 46:1020-1027.
- Coates, T. A., Shelburne, V.B., Waldrop, T.A., Smith, B.R., Hill, H.S. Jr., Simon, D.M. 2010. Forest soil response to fuel reduction treatments in the Southern Appalachian Mountains. In: Stanturf, John A., ed. 2010. Proceedings of the 14th biennial southern silvicultural research conference. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–121. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 283-287.
- Yanai, R.D., R.H. Germain, N.M. Anderson, T.A. Coates, and A.K. Mishler. 2009. Heart Size of Sugar Maple Sawlogs across Six Northern States. Journal of Forestry. 107(2):95-100.
- Coates, T.A., R.E.J. Boerner, T.A. Waldrop, and D.A. Yaussy. 2008. Soil Nitrogen Transformations Under Alternative Management Strategies In Appalachian Mountain Forests. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 72:558-565.
- Boerner, R., T. Coates, T. Waldrop, and D. Yaussy. 2007. Assessing Ecosystem Restoration Alternatives In Eastern Deciduous Forests: The View from Belowground. Restoration Ecology. 16(3):425-434.
- Coates, T.A., Shelburne, V.B., Waldrop, T.A., Smith, B.R., Hill, H.S. Jr. 2006. Effects of fuel reduction treatments on soil nitrogen transformation in the southeastern piedmont. In: Dickinson, Matthew B., ed. 2006. Fire in eastern oak forests: delivering science to land managers, proceedings of a conference; 2005 November 15-17; Columbus, OH. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-1. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station: 272.