Keith W. Goyne
Professor and Associate Dean
- B.S., Penn State, 1994
- M.S., Penn State, 1998
- Ph.D., Penn State, 2003
- Postdoctoral Fellow 2003-2005, University of Arizona
Research interests revolve around soil chemical and biogeochemical investigations aimed at understanding natural and human influenced terrestrial ecosystem processes.
Specific examples include:
- Studies aimed at understanding the effects of forest management and agronomic practices on soil health and soil nutrient and carbon cycling.
- Understanding the fate and transport of pesticides, pharmaceuticals and personal care products in soils and subsequent effects on soil microbial communities.
- Elucidating mechanisms of natural and xenobiotic organic compound sorption to minerals using spectroscopic techniques.
- Kabrick, J., K.W. Goyne, and H.E. Stelzer. In Press. Woody debris and nutrient retention following alternative biomass harvesting guidelines. Forest Sci.
- Main, A.R., E.B. Webb, K.W. Goyne, and D. Mengel. In Press. Neonicotinoid insecticides negatively affect performance measures of non-target terrestrial arthropods: a meta-analysis. Ecol. Appl.
- Satkowski, L.E., K.W. Goyne, S.H. Anderson, R.N. Lerch, E.B. Webb, and D.D. Snow. In Press. Imidacloprid sorption and transport in cropland, grass buffer, and riparian buffer soils. Vadose Zone J.
- Lerch, R.N., C.H. Lin, K.W. Goyne, R.J. Kremer, and S.H. Anderson. 2017. Vegetative buffer strips for reducing herbicide transport in runoff: effects of season, vegetation, and buffer width. J. Am. Water Resour. Assoc. 53:667-683.
- Margenot, A.J., F.J. Calderón, K.W. Goyne, F.N.D. Mukome, and S.J. Parikh. 2017. Soil analysis, applications of FTIR spectroscopy. p. 448-454. In J.C. Lindon, G.E. Tranter, and D.W. Koppenaal, Encyclopedia of Spectroscopy and Spectrometry 3rd ed. Vol. 2. Oxford Academic Press, Oxford, UK. (Invited manuscript)
- Nordenholt, R.M., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Kremer, C.-H. Lin, and R.N. Lerch. 2016. Effect of veterinary antibiotics on atrazine degradation and soil microorganisms. J. Environ. Qual. 45:565-575. (Special Issue/Invited manuscript)
- Willett, C.D., R.N. Lerch, C.-H. Lin, K.W. Goyne, N.D. Leigh, and C.A. Roberts. 2016. Benzoxazinone-mediated triazine degradation: A proposed reaction mechanism. J. Ag. Food Chem.
- Singh, G., K.W. Goyne, and J. Kabrick. 2015. Determinants of total and available phosphorus in forested Alfisols and Ultisols of the Ozark Highlands, USA. Geoderma Regional 5:117-126.
- Weber, J.S., K.W. Goyne, T.P. Luxton, A.L. Thompson. 2015. Phosphate treatment of lead contaminated soil: effects on water quality, plant uptake, and lead speciation. J. Environ. Qual. 44:1127-1136.
- Du, C., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Miles, and J. Zhao. 2014. A 1915-2011 microscale record of soil organic matter under wheat cultivation using FTIR-PAS depth-profiling. Agron. Sustain. Dev. 34:803-811.
- Parikh, S.J., K.W. Goyne, A.J. Margenot, F.N.D. Mukome, and F.J. Calderón. 2014. Soil chemical insights provided through vibrational spectroscopy. Adv. Agron. 126:1-148. (Invited manuscript)
- Song, E., J.G. Schneider, S.H. Anderson, K.W. Goyne, and X. Xiong. 2014. Wetting agent influence on water infiltration into hydrophobic sand: I. Rewettability. Agron. J. 106:1873-1878.
- Song, E., J.G. Schneider, S.H. Anderson, K.W. Goyne, and X. Xiong. 2014. Wetting agent influence on water infiltration into hydrophobic sand: II. Physical properties. Agron. J. 106:1879-1885.
- Veum, K.S., K.W. Goyne, R. J. Kremer, R. Miles, and K. Sudduth. 2014. Biological indicators of soil quality and soil organic matter characteristics in an agricultural management continuum. Biogeochem. 117:81-99. (Invited manuscript).
- Willett, C.D., R.N. Lerch, K.W. Goyne, N.D. Leigh, C.-H. Lin, and C.A. Roberts. 2014. A simple method for isolation and purification of DIBOA-Glc from Tripsacum dactyloides (L.). Nat. Prod. Comm. 9:1223-1286.
- Du, C., Z. Ma, J. Zhao, and K.W. Goyne. 2013. Application of mid-infrared photoacoustic spectroscopy in monitoring carbonate content in soils. Sensors Actuators B: Chem. 188: 1167-1175.
- Willett, C.D., R.N. Lerch, C.-H. Lin, K.W. Goyne, N. D. Leigh, and C.A. Roberts. 2013. Identification of an atrazine-degrading benzoxazinoid in Eastern Gamagrass (Tripsacum dactyloides). J. Agric. Food Chem. 61:8026-8033.
- Chu, B., K.W. Goyne, S.H. Anderson, C.H. Lin, and R.N. Lerch. 2013. Sulfamethazine sorption to soil: Vegetative management, pH, and dissolved organic matter effects. J. Environ. Qual. 42:794-805.
- Chu, B., S.H. Anderson, K.W. Goyne, C.H. Lin, and R.N. Lerch. 2013. Sulfamethazine transport in agroforestry and cropland soils. Vadose Zone J. 12:1-14.
- Dudenhoeffer, C.J., K.A. Nelson, P.P. Motavalli, B. Burdick, and K. W. Goyne. 2013. Utility of phosphorus enhancers and strip-tillage effects on corn production. J. Agric. Sci. 5:37-46.
- Unger, I.M., K.W. Goyne, A.C. Kennedy, and R. J. Kremer, J.E.T. McLain, and C.F. Williams. 2013. Antibiotic effects on microbial community characteristics in soils under conservation management practices. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 77:100-112.
- Unger, I.M., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Kremer, and A.C. Kennedy. 2013. Microbial community diversity in agroforestry and grass vegetative filter strips. Agroforest. Syst. 87:395-402.
- Du, C., J. Zhou, and K.W. Goyne. 2012. Organic and inorganic carbon in paddy soils as evaluated by mid-infrared photoacoustic spectroscopy. PLOS ONE 7(8): e43368. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0043368.
- Dudenhoeffer, C.J., K.A. Nelson, P.P. Motavalli, D. Dunn, W.E. Stevens, K.W. Goyne, M. Nathan, and P. Scharf. 2012. Corn production as affected by phosphorus enhancers, phosphorus source and lime. J. Agric. Sci. 4:137-143.
- Thompson, A. and K.W. Goyne. 2012. Controls on the sorption of chemical constituents in soils. Nature Education Knowledge. 4(4):7. (Invited manuscript)
- Veum, K.S., K.W. Goyne, R.J. Kremer, and P.P. Motavalli. 2012. Relationships among water stable aggregates and organic matter fractions under conservation management. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 76: 2143-2153.